Sunday, October 4, 2009

Framework: The Classroom Environment

I feel that one of the most important aspects of teaching is making students feel capable of taking risks and safe asking questions often. I chose Classroom Environment because this is one of my favorite aspects of teaching. The component of Environment that I am most comfortable with would be creating an environment of respect and rapport. As the teacher, I am responsible for setting clear expectations for how students will interact in my classroom and for modeling how those interactions will take place. When I had a classroom (I travel this year:-( ), I had a list called "Classroom Etiquette" in the front of my classroom. I want students to understand that my expectations for their behavior are not simply rules (though it is part of it), but they are also the expectations placed on them by society. I truly enjoy my job, so it is easy to have positive interactions with my students. I believe that this positively influences their interactions with each other. I make it clear the first day that everyone NEEDS to feel comfortable because it is hard to speak and present in a foreign language. My students respond really well to this expectation. They might giggle nervously when it is their turn to talk, but they are careful to respect the risks of other students when they are in the spotlight. I love this!

A culture for learning is so strongly tied to respect that I find it difficult to distinguish the two when deciding what is most important for instruction. One of the things that my students come to understand is that earning the respect of others is important, but it means nothing if they do not respect their own ability to gain and use knowledge. I reinforce the fact that "non-learning" is disrespectful not just to me but also to themselves. When the learning environment is based on respect for self and others, all students feel free to interact and respond appropriately. That said, I am still learning how to interact with my suburban students. They don't require the same amount of structure that my urban students needed to stay on task, but I had become really comfortable with a highly structured classroom. My students this year respond more energetically and with greater results when I give them "a longer leash," but this is hard for me!

I am still learning to manage being a traveling teacher. It is difficult to transition from room to room. I like to post my objectives, bell work, and agenda on the board for my students each day. I feel that it helps my students know what to expect and plan mentally for the hour. It is difficult to answer last minute questions and respond to individual student concerns after class and get to my next room in time to post my agenda, objectives, and bell work. These procedures help students know exactly what to do each day. It also helps them transition into the next subject. It also allows me to maintain focus throughout the hour. I can direct their attention to these objectives before class to introduce the topic and at the end of class to clarify questions and summarize concepts. Some ideas that I have for making this work are using the poster size post-its each day for my objectives (but I hate to use the paper!) or putting them on a flash drive to project onto the board (which takes a bit more time).

What strategies can I use to create a learning environment when I have no control over the physical classroom environment? Any ideas, experiences, or advice would be wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! It sounds like you already have some awesome ideas. The environmentally conscious side of me says that you should try the electronic method of projecting your information on the board. I think this also might get the students' attention a little more.

    Without knowing the specifics of the physical classroom environments you are working in, or how many there are, I was wondering if the classrooms could be made in order to offer a special space or area that is designated as yours? Could you communicate these concerns with some of your colleagues in order to collaboratively develop a little more stability? It sounds like you know your environments best and already have some good ideas-I'm sure if you brought them to the attention of your administration or colleagues they would be responsive. Or, you could talk to the other traveling professionals in your school or district, such as speech pathologists and occupational therapists-they are the masters of traveling and have found the best ways to handle this through all their experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been considering asking them for some space, but they are all a bit annoyed at having to "give up" their classroom for an hour a day already. I think you are right though-if I present it in a collaborative way they will probably respond positively.

    ReplyDelete