Wednesday, November 25, 2009

3rd Update-Inquiry

New rules were introduced to each of my classes a week and a half ago. Since then, we have worked individually, in pairs, in groups, and as a whole class. Each time, before beginning I remind the students of the rules that they created for class. Today, before we began individual work, I asked the students to tell me what rules they had written. They named each of them, and included some extras...like not drinking and driving.

Despite their attempts at humor, they worked quietly and diligently during individual work. The second half of class was devoted to paired work. Again, we reviewed the rules. There remains some chatting with other students besides their partners, but this dissipates quickly as I move through the classroom, answering questions and redirecting off-task behavior.

All four classes have accepted and applied the new rules. As I mentioned before, they are great students, and with clear expectations I can try more challenging tasks with them and know that they will respond appropriately. They will be doing individual/paired presentations in December. Though class will be over, I am excited to know that each student will feel confident and safe presenting because the other students have realized how important mutual respect is in the classroom.

Video will be posted this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment